PCCC ELDERS MEETING MINUTES


  • elder meeting minutes - October 13, 2019

    Start time: 11:35 a.m

    Conclusion: 1:35 p.m.

    Present: Pastor Larry, Sean, Andy, Gray, Jay, Peter

     

    FOOT WASHING

    • Gray led a foot-washing ceremony. Gray – we need to understand each other’s story and learn about each other towards more Christ-like service, humility, intimacy, and vulnerability.

    UDPATE ON MEMBER NEEDS

    PRAYER

    REPORTS

    Budget -

    • Tabled until Steve is present and we can discuss with Jay & Larry not present.

     

    Peter & Gray updates -

    •  Interest in resuscitating in the leadership classes potentially after the conclusion of the Knowing God study
    • Interest in scheduling a newcomer reception
    • Interest in scheduling new members classes
    • Gray to meet with Annette toward including prayer requests in the bulletin: a) from elders, b) for elder, c) for children’s’ ministries

     

    Continuing ministry evaluations –

    • Men’s ministry - Andy
    • Andy continue to search for co-leaders in men’s ministry from among the congregation and is praying about it.
    • Andy will have more focused conversations with disparate elements of men’s ministry already going on in an effort to better support existing men’s ministries.
    • Motion made and approved for the formation of men’s ministry leadership committee to include Shelby Edwards, Greg Davis, Jeremiah Demuth, Mit Parsons, Robbie Ford, Tom Ahl, and Jerry Sears. (Names to be redacted when minutes are published.) Andy to pursue.

     

    Celebrate Recovery - Andy

    • It’s more than just a substance abuse situation
    • Can include financial irresponsibility, over eating/disorders, etc.
    • Stigma of there’s something wrong with those people.
    • If we pursued this, we’d need strong leadership (leadership has to be trained by CR)
    • …and we’d need ministry buy-in (both PCCC and other churches)
    • We’d need to be prepared to develop community outreach
    • Closest CR is ~25 miles away in Lakewood
    • AA – Closest is Conifer
    • Andy to investigate further as we proceed prayerfully

     

    Research Job Descriptions and Performance Evaluations for Larry, Jay, Annette

     

    For next meeting we need to have reviewed present job descriptions and advise if there are any needed edits.

    Larry to distribute the job descriptions prior to the next meeting for review.

    Ongoing discussions needed – we should add to the agenda for the next meeting.

     

    Other Business

    • Elders to have a ministry booth presence at the Oct 27 church fair.
    • Gray expressed interest in a retreat for elders. 

    ANNOUNCEMENTS

    • Next Elders meeting Nov 3 at 11:30 a.m.


  • elder meeting minutes - September 22, 2019

    Start time: 11:35 a.m

    Conclusion: 2:55 p.m.

    Present: Pastor Larry, Sean, Steve, Andy, Gray, Eric Earnest, Jay

    PRAYER

    UDPATE ON MEMBER NEEDS

    APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES

    • 9.1.19 minutes were approved

    REPORTS

    Communications – Peter

    • PCCC advertised its fall ’19 programs and services in the Flume
    • This week’s Flume has a MOPS article Dianne wrote.
    • We will be updating our church’s precis as needed

    Budget  – Eric Earnest

    • New church structure leaves “nuts and bolts” budget prep to deacons and final responsibility to elders.
    • Plan is to have a budget ready for elder discuss early Oct; elder vote by end of Oct
    • Eric presented an overview of the church’s revenues and expenses and balance sheet to date along with a summary of capital projects completed and those scheduled.
    • Motion approved re. Elder’s support of the diaconate going to the congregation to discuss and ask for funding for a proposed elevator project.
    • Eric will build a draft budget week of 9/22/19 and distribute to elders.
    • At the Nov. planned annual meeting, the nominating committee will present candidates to the congregation.

    Visioning 2020 – Steve

    • Andy requests continued prayer leading Men’s ministry – seeking direction and avenues of ministry.
    • Elder chair request elders’ continued prayer and thought on what we would like to see in the way of transformative ministry in 2020.

    Nominating committee

    • No updates at this time.

    Church use approval

    • As per new constitution, Elder board is responsible for approving use of church for non-church purposes.
    • Request for baby shower from church member to be held on Dec. 7.
    • Motion made, seconded, and approved in favor.

    Other Business

    • Gray to begin submitting prayer requests from the elders to the congregation asking the congregation to be praying for select needs.

    Closing Prayer

    ANNOUNCEMENTS

    • Next Elders meeting Oct 13 @ 11:30 a.m.


  • elder meeting minutes - September 1, 2019

    Start time: 2:48 p.m.

    Conclusion: 4:30 p.m.

    Present: Pastor Larry, Sean, Steve, Andy, Gray

    PRAYER

    UDPATE ON MEMBER NEEDS

    APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES

    • 8.11.19 minutes approved with correction re. Heather East “2020” (vs. “2019”) ministry readiness.

    REPORTS

    Worship – Pastor Larry

    • True worship in spirit and truth should always be a point we pursue and reflect on.
    • Foci should include teaching, the breaking of bread, and prayer.
    • We should avoid two extremes in our meetings: Friends/Quakers vs. highly structured. 

    Children’s ministries – Gray

    • Gray is looking seriously at busing kids in – we can fix the van we have and get one or two more used vans if needed. This would draw families and get more kids involved.
    • Re. the children’s ministry leadership group: Heather East bowed out.

    Nominating committee – Steve

    • One deacon candidate has agreed to serve.
    • Ongoing work identifying deacons and elders.
    • As per constitution, we need more people on the nominating committee.

     

     

    Budgeting processSteve

    • Under new documentation, elders have responsibility for budget.
    • Deacons will prepare budget based on input from elders and submit for approval to elders by Oct 1.
    • Elders will take an active position in the formulation of the budget
    • Goal is to get to a zero-based budget process.

     

     Closing Prayer

    ANNOUNCEMENTS

    • Next Elders meeting Sept 22 @ 11:30 a.m


  • Elder Meeting Minutes - August 11

    Start time: 11:30 a.m.

    Conclusion: 2:45 p.m.

    Present: Pastor Larry, Sean, Steve, Andy, Gray, Jay, Peter


    UDPATE ON MEMBER NEEDS

    PRAYER

    APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES

    • 7.17.19 minutes were approved.

    REPORTS

    Youth Ministry – Jay

    • Jay is “ready to go” for Fall ministry
    • Jay and Pat Bramblett are looking into starting a Sunday school class for middle and high school kids
    • Jay is considering forming a climbing team
    • Recommendation made to begin exploring replacing the youth group van 

    Canyon Kids/ Cornerstone Kids update – Gray

    • Gray recently conducted children’s ministry meetings with Bev Ahl & Heather East regarding a children’s leadership group
    • Met with Sharon Flanigan regarding precepts for kids
    • Met with Betsey related to childcare
    • Gray will meet with Cliff McCallister week of 8/14 re. involvement in children’s ministry
    • 8/25 is the schedule meeting for Canyon Kids workers co-led with Bev Ahl
    • Cliff M., Heather East, and Amy Grace Edwards tentatively comprise the children’s leadership group
    • Several projects afoot/in development include:
    • bus/wrap advertisements
    • prayer warriors
    • volunteer training program
    • communication (ideas for how and where to communicate children’s ministry happenings church-wide)
    • whole family ministries
    • classroom management training – would like PCCC to purchase some training guides for children’s ministry

    • Explore children’s involvement in our services  - we should have kids involved in the services where advisable, e.g., helping collect offering, prayer time, etc.

    • VBS – Heather East is already ready for summer 2020.

    Policy and procedures manual – Steve

    • Work by Steve F. and Emily F. is still in in progress. No deadline on it.
    • Biggest area in need of edits are the job descriptions

    Christian Education next steps,  Knowing God – Sean

    • The course to begin Sept 8 has been and will continue to be advertised
    • Sean to buy books through PCCC’s account when it’s time
    • Sean to design a survey instrument for assessment at the end of the class to determine course continuation, i.e., continuing beyond the first six chapters of Knowing God

    Nominating Committee – Steve

    • Committee met and has two proposed deacon and elder candidates
    • Members from the committee are in the process of personal conversations with candidates to encourage their, and our, prayerful discernment of God’s call

     

    Pulpit Supply

    • The elders are moving forward with identifying individuals to assist with preaching on a rotating basis, e.g., every 5th Sunday

    Integrated communications

    • Need for integrated communication in general to make sure church developments, events, etc., are communicated well
    • Peter to work with select individuals in the church to assess and gather recommendations on maximizing communication platforms, e.g., social media, church website

     

     Closing Prayer

    ANNOUNCEMENTS

    • Next Elders meeting Sept 1 @ 12:30 p.m.


  • Elder meeting minutes - july 17

    Start time: 7:30 a.m.

    Conclusion: 9:00 a.m.

    Present: Pastor Larry, Sean, Steve, Andy


    UDPATE ON MEMBER NEEDS


    PRAYER


    APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES

    • 6.27.19 minutes were approved.

    REPORTS

    Security team update – Steve

    • John Stark has agreed to provide training for the PCCC security team starting this fall.

    Policies and Procedures Manual update – Steve

    • Steve F. and Emily F. have done a second draft of the manual and have identified continued areas to modify to align the document with PCCC’s constitution and by-laws. They’ll be reaching out to select individuals for input accordingly. Once ready, they’ll present it to a sub-group of elders for sign-off.

    Canyon Kids/Children’s Education – Gray

    • Update from Gray tabled given his absence

     

    Christian Education – Sean

    • Given the areas of interest identified in the survey, the elders will offer three classes this fall covering the following topical areas: personal growth in the faith; apologetics; evangelism.
    • Next steps: Sean to work with Annette to begin circulating sign-up sheets which will allow the elders to receive commitments from members to attend, in turn confirming the need for each class, needed materials, who will teach, etc.

    Budget Prep – Steve

    • We need to explore and determine what elder spiritual leadership in the church budgeting process looks like under the new elder-led church model.

    Nominating committee - Steve

    • Nominating committee will reconvene week of 7/15 to start developing a list of names to fill church leadership positions that will become open January 1.

    Computer resources – Steve

    • Lyn M. would like to present a run-down of PCCC’s technological resource to the elders. Steve working to have him present at an elders’ meeting in the future.


    ANNOUNCEMENTS

    • Next Elders meeting August 11h @ 11:30 a.m.


  • elder meeting minutes - june 27

    Start time: 7:30 a.m.

    Conclusion: 9:00 a.m.

    Present: Pastor Larry, Sean, Steve, Andy, Peter, Gray


    UDPATE ON MEMBER NEEDS

     

    PRAYER


    APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES

    • 6.2.19 minutes were approved.

    REPORTS

    Canyon Kids – Gray

    • Matthew 18:1-6 – key guiding scripture.  Gray wants to meet more with Bev A., Heather E., & Diane K and make an announcement re; looking for committed people to work with Gray to set up a children’s ministry leadership team. Gray to meet with leadership between now and July 17.

    Policy Manual - Steve

    • Steve F. and Emily F. are working on policy manual revisions. They will outline the items they’ll cover in the policy manual and will bring their outline to the elder board for sign-off before finalizing edits.  Topic for revision may include: job descriptions (Senior Pastor, Youth Pastor, new Christian Education job description, etc.) facilities usage, by-laws, etc.

    Christian Education – Sean

    • Recap of survey results and next-steps.
    • Elders decided to make July 14th a post-service Christian ed and brainstorming session instead of strictly an “ask the elders” update
    • An elder eventually have to be assigned to help administer enhanced Christian ed programing.

    Nominating committee - Steve

    • We need to reconvene the nominating committee to identify vacant deacon and elder positions that will be coming available on January 1.
    • We need to formally designate someone as a treasurer and finance committee chairman.
    • Steve will advance this discussion with Lyn M. 

    MOTIONS

    • A motion to accept the following new members was made and accepted

                       Eric Casey

                       Russ & Janelle Rutledge

                       Steve & Katie Spodyak

                       Shelby & Amy Grace Edwards

                       Wendy Woodland

                       Susan Yetterberg

                       Earl and Sonya Harris

                      John and Molly Stark


    ANNOUNCEMENTS

    • Next Elders meeting July 17th @ 7:00 a.m.


  • elder meeting minutes - June 2

    Start time: 11:30 a.m.

    Conclusion: 1:10 p.m.

    Present: Pastor Larry, Sean, Steve, Andy, Peter, Gray

     

    UDPATE ON MEMBER NEEDS and PRAYER

     

    MOTIONS

    • Motion accepted to (1) allow a meeting with the pastor accompanied by an elder to constitute the initiation of the application for membership requirement as detailed in the PCCC Church Constitution and (2) to allow the sharing of the prospective member’s testimony and verbal assent to the Statement of Faith to satisfy the Statement of Faith requirement detailed in the same.
    •  

    REPORTS

         Elder Ministry Oversight Reports

    • MOPS: Steve has gathered a prelim. assessment of this ministry. He plans to meet with the four leaders of this ministry at his house in the fall, when the ministry picks back up, to discuss in earnest.
    • Prayer Shawl: this ministry is no longer an active ministry
    • Music & AV: Sean has had informal conversations with Melody H., coordinator, and gathers the music ministry is healthy. Sean desires to schedule a meeting/dinner for members of this ministry in preparation for fall 2019/spring 2020 ministry. Sean will continue to assess AV ministry needs but gathers that the ministry is healthy at this time.
    • Men’s Ministries: Andy announces there will be quarterly men’s breakfasts, the first on Saturday, June 8, at 7 a.m.
    • Children’s Ministries: Gray reports that Sunday children’s ministries are growing and healthy. He’s touched base with Bev Ahl but needs to touch base with Heather East as well. We as a church body need to solicit support more volunteers for this ministry as it continues to expand.

     

    OTHER BUSINESS

    • The Christian Education survey has 46 electronic responses (out of an electronic recipient list of approximately 190) at the time of the meeting. It does not appear that any hard copy surveys have been turned in at this time. Next steps:
    • Send an email reminder week of 6/3 and announce in church on 6/9.
    • Close out the survey 6/12.
    • Email a report to the congregation via inclusion in the weekly church e-announcement and make available hard copy week of 6/17.
    • Meet with existing Christian education teachers and other interested parties in earnest as early in the summer as possible towards evaluating and implementing the survey’s results to enhance Christian education starting in fall 2019.

    • Church security team: Steve to speak with the Eric, Deacon chair, to assess our church security team.
    • Check to make sure there are signs on the doors indicating that the doors are locked and indicating what their next steps should be.
    •  

     ANNOUNCEMENTS

    • Next Elders meeting June 27th, 7 a.m


  • elder meeting minutes - may 19

    Start time: 11:30 a.m; 

    Conclusion: 2:10 p.m.

    Present: Pastor Larry, Sean, Steve, Andy, Peter, Gray, Jay, Mit Parsons


    UDPATE ON MEMBER NEEDS and PRAYER

    MOTIONS

    • Motion accepted to approve 5.12.19 meeting minutes
    • Motion approved to reschedule the congregational Elder Update meeting to July 14th.
    • Motion approved that Gray Anderson & Jerry Sear’s summer mission trip to Montana be officially acknowledged and supported by PCCC in the form of prayer and recognition.

    REPORTS

    • n/a

    OTHER BUSINESS

    • Presentation by Mit Parsons on PCCC in its cultural, social, and spiritual contexts with questions and suggestions for development.
    • Christian education survey approved for loading into software and dissemination to the congregation in electronic and hard copy format.
    • Elders to begin reporting on ministry assessments at June 2 meeting.
    • Tabled until next meeting due to time constraints:
    • Policy manual edits



  • elder meeting minutes - may 12, 2019

    Start time: 11:30 a.m.

    Conclusion: 1:15 p.m.

    Present: Pastor Larry, Sean, Steve, Andy, Peter


    UDPATE ON MEMBER NEEDS


    PRAYER


    APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES

    • 4.14.19 minutes were amended and were approved.

    REPORTS

    • n/a

    OTHER BUSINESS

    • Continued the project of assigning elder oversight to PCCC ministries.
    • Assigned the project of contacting ministry leaders, learning about the state of the ministry, and gathering recommendations in preparation to present an update on the ministry at the 5/19/19 meeting.
    • Discussion of edits to the electronic congregational survey which elders will shortly send re. Christian education.
    • Discussion of evangelism and community outreach.
    • Identification and discussion of needed work on a) the policy manual and b) position papers.

    ANNOUNCEMENTS

    • Next Elders meeting May 19th.


  • elder meeting minutes - April 14, 2019

    Start time: 11:40 a.m.

    Conclusion:  2:00 p.m.

    Present: Pastor Larry, Gray, Sean, Steve, Andy


    APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES

    • 3.31.19 minutes were approved.

    REPORTS

    • n/a

    MOTIONS

    • Motion approved to include a link to the minutes in the church weekly email approved. Sean to work directly with Annette in providing her with approved minutes.
    • Motion approved to send out survey ASAP soliciting the congregation’s thoughts re. enhanced Christian education.
    • National Day of Prayer in Bailey, CO – motion approved to move April’s third Tuesday evening prayer meeting to the first Thursday in May to align with the National Day of Prayer, May 2.

     

    OTHER BUSINESS

    • Decided to open our meetings with prayer, put prayer first, and be prayer centered
    • Four new families:  Josh and Amber McQueen - Christie, Mark Ray - Christie, Devin (and Trent) Posey – Christie, Russ and Jenelle Rutledge from Oklahoma – Christie, Jason and Dee-Anne Norman – Christie, Elaina Hubbell & Travis Badding – Kirnan
    • Bailey day June 22 – pancake breakfast. Communicate to Mission Board that we support whatever level of involvement they desire (perhaps a booth?) recognizing they are responsible for executing their involvement. Andy to reach out to Sharon Flanigan.
    • Mit Parsons has asked for a meeting with the elders – put on the agenda on May 19th
    • Shepherding assignments updated with categories and will be emailed out to elders so that elders can review the list and figure out what ministries elders are most comfortable exercising oversight over.
    • “Ask the Elder” question time - include in the first quarterly elder update as an agenda item

     

    ANNOUNCEMENTS

    • Next Elders meeting May 5th.